Self-Regulation in Children: Keeping the Body, Mind & Emotions on Task in Children with Autism, ADHD or Sensory Disorders.
Children who have trouble self regulating throughout the day are missing out on typical childhood experiences in school, on the playground and with their families. This workshop looks at the underlying factors of poor self-regulation and how they affect the child.
Experienced presenter, Teresa Garland, will teach you practical interventions and how to create simple, but effective programs in clinical, school and home settings:
- Sensory therapy techniques
- Simple self-management and video modelling programs
- Sensory lifestyle
- First person stories
- Energy regulation techniques
- Emotional regulation techniques
- Communication methods
- Transition strategies
- Behavioural Strategies
Clinical programs such as Interactive Metronome®, Sound Therapy, and Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT™) will be discussed, as will timely topics such as medication vs. non-medication for ADHD and new insights from research into biomedical aspects of autism. You will receive written handouts and a list of resources.
- Summarize characteristics of sensory modulation disorder, ADHD and autism and how they overlap.
- Illustrate specific treatments for SPD that can be duplicated at school or home.
- Describe the ingredients of a sensory lifestyle.
- Tell examples of elements of successful first person stories and transitional activities.
- Describe ADHD interventions to be used with or without meds.
- Apply a simple self-management and video modelling program.
- Describe how clinic-based therapies can reduce symptoms of SPD and ADHD.
How Self-Regulation Affects a Child’s Physical, Mental and Emotional Wellbeing
- Overlay of systems
- Overlap with sensory modulation disorder,
- ADHD, autism, giftedness, anxiety and related conditions
Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)
- Vestibular, proprioceptive, and sensory modulation characteristics
- Strategies for home and school
- Making it right: case studies and videos
- Sensory diet vs. a sensory lifestyle
- The big therapies: Interactive
- Metronome®(IM), Sound Therapy, brushing and sensory diets
- Parker’s guidelines for giving meds
- Greenspan’s strategies for avoiding meds
- Cognitive strategies, attention strategies and mindfulness meditation
- As a powerful behaviour program for ADHD
- Case study on breaking “stimming” habits
- Role play & video modelling
- Teaching functional skills
- Catching child “being good”
- Working with Emotions
- Art and music
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
- Polyvagal Theory and autism
- Communication strategies that provide control
- Match-and-repeat technique for social engagement
- Dealing with picky eating and poor sleep habits
- Behavioural strategies for eliminating difficult behaviour
First Person Stories & Strategies for Smooth Transitions
- Discuss social interactions
- Describe relevant social cues and behaviours
- Examples of transitional activities
- Music, Me-Moves™
- Deep pressure, Ease™
This is an individual version for private use only. (What is it?)
By adding this individual version in your basket you are agreeing that this DVD and any other Individual Version DVD purchased at Psychotherapydvds.com will be used for personal viewing only, and not for teaching, training, group viewing or any institutional use.
To buy Organisational Version of this training pack licensed for use with groups or at training events go to: Organisational Version of this product page
Teresa Garland, MOT, OTR/L, is an occupational therapist and author specializing in sensory and modulation issues. She has worked in schools, sensory clinics and medical settings with children and adults, treating sensory disorders, ADHD and autism. Ms. Garland works closely with other health professionals, teachers and doctors to understand and treat underlying sensory, timing, and coordination/motor planning issues as well as overlying socio/emotional behaviours in the symptoms of autism. She is trained/certified in the SIPT, Interactive Metronome®, Integrated Listening Systems (iLs), Therapeutic Listening, Wilbarger's Sensory Defensiveness, the Natural Heart Approach, Mindfulness Training, and Food Chaining. Her book is titled Self-Regulation Interventions and Strategies: Keeping the Body, Mind and Emotions on Task in Children with Autism, ADHD or Sensory Disorders.
Dispatched from United Kingdom. International delivery available: Europe.
Individual Training Pack 6 CPD Hours – £153.00