“...Wendy Behary walks us through easy-to-understand explanations of how the mind of a narcissist works...”
-Daniel J. Siegel, M.D.
Intelligent - Self-confident - Arrogant - Condescending - Incapable of empathy - Charming - Selfish
Narcissistic clients can be your most challenging clients.
This seminar recording will show you how to move past the narcissist’s defences to gain and maintain leverage in therapy, avoid power struggles and help the client begin to understand his or her own behaviour and its impact on other people. You will learn to change lifelong emotional and behavioural patterns through cognitive restructuring, attachment and re-parenting work, behavioural-skills training, and experiential techniques. Learn to assess your client’s hot buttons and managed triggered reactions like aggression and attachment.
Expert clinician and best selling author Wendy Behary, will help you understand the narcissist’s view of world, how to navigate their coping styles, and why, underneath their seemingly tough bravado, narcissist’s have issues of inadequacy, intolerable shame, sadness and loneliness. This understanding will allow you to set limits with your narcissistic client, and recognize, relevant to the treatment goals, when it’s time to draw the line on unacceptable behaviour.
- Demonstrate specific clinical strategies to apply with narcissistic clients
- Integrate concepts from interpersonal neurobiology as powerful tools for accelerating treatment effectiveness
- Identify personal schemas and modes – a major obstacle to treatment
- Utilize self-work: to bypass intense personal triggers, activated by the narcissist
- Create and adapt custom-fitting scripts to fortify leverage, to utilize “empathic confrontation” and to set limits…under a variety of conditions relevant to narcissism
- Utilize the “Therapy Relationship” as an effective strategy for changing maladaptive reactions; and as powerful agent for change – generalizing newly adapted behaviours from the treatment room to the narcissist’s world
Origins of Narcissism and Treatment
- Conceptualization of narcissism and early unmet needs
- Assessment tools
- Narcissism DSM® and Schema Theory
The Spectrum of Narcissism
- Entitled types
- Full-blown character pathology
- Sociopathic profiles
The Narcissist in Treatment
- Unmet needs
- Coping styles
- Imbedded states of mind
- Using specific assessment tools to guide treatment
- Modes and schema of the narcissistic client
Overcoming the Challenges in Treating the Narcissism
- Traits, states, and coping styles
- How the narcissist provokes the therapist
- How the therapist’s schemas and modes can sabotages treatment
- Gaining leverage
- Meaningful consequences
- Keeping the narcissist motivated
- Working with the narcissist’s spouse or significant other
Interventions and Strategies for Change
- Establishing agreements regarding mutual respect
- Imagery, for linking new thinking and behaviour with early maladaptive experiences
- Confronting the detached modes in order to access the lonely child
- The power of candid “realness” to build trust
- Break through intellectual and approval seeking barriers
- Confront overcompensating grandiosity
- Effectively tackle aggressiveness
- How to remain the credible, compassionate expert that you are
How to Implement Interventions: Demonstrations and Role Plays
- Video presentation / case discussion
- Transformational chair work
- Mode work
- Empathic confrontation
- Therapy relationship
- Limit setting
This is an individual version for private use only. (What is it?)
By adding this individual version in your basket you are agreeing that this DVD and any other Individual Version DVD purchased at Psychotherapydvds.com will be used for personal viewing only, and not for teaching, training, group viewing or any institutional use.
To buy Organisational Version of this training pack licensed for use with groups or at training events go to: Organisational Version of this product page
Wendy T. Behary, MSW, LCSW, with 25 years post-graduate training and advanced level certifications, is the founder and director of The Cognitive Therapy Centre of New Jersey and The New Jersey Institute for Schema Therapy. She has been treating clients, training professionals and supervising psychotherapists for more than 20 years. Wendy is also on the faculty of the Cognitive Therapy Centre and Schema Therapy Institute of New York, where she has trained and worked with Dr. Jeffrey Young since 1989. She is a founding fellow of The Academy of Cognitive Therapy (Dr. Aaron T. Beck). Wendy is also the President of the Executive Board of the International Society of Schema Therapy (ISST).
Wendy Behary has co-authored several chapters and articles on schema therapy and cognitive therapy. She is the author of (New Harbinger Publications- 1st edition) Disarming the Narcissist ... Surviving and Thriving with the Self-Absorbed. She has a speciality in treating narcissists and the people who live with and deal with them. As an author and an expert on the subject of narcissism, she is a contributing chapter author of several chapters on schema therapy for narcissism (Wiley Publications and APA Press, 2011/12). She lectures both nationally and internationally to professionals on schema therapy, and the subject of narcissism, relationships, and dealing with difficult people.
Her private practice is primarily devoted to treating narcissists, partners/people dealing with them, and couples experiencing relationship problems.
Dispatched from United Kingdom. International delivery available: Worldwide.
Individual Training Pack CPD 7 hours – £153.00