DAY ONE: The Essentials of Motivational Interviewing
- The New 4 Processes of MI
- Acceptance of Ambivalence
- MI Spirit & Essential Strategies
- Adapting MI to fit your practice
Attend this conference and get the latest, updated Motivational Interviewing (MI) techniques as newly released by MI founders Drs. Miller and Rollnick. Join Mariann Suarez, Ph.D., ABPP, FAA CBP, co-author of Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults (with Sylvie Naar-King, Ph.D.), and learn how to integrate MI skills into your practice – newly adapted for common clinical problems beyond addiction treatment.
The practice of MI provides a structure that gives responsibility back to the client for change, relieving practitioners of that assumed “burden”. Once clients have made a commitment for change, practitioners can more successfully provide support and improve treatment outcomes.
Take away the new four processes approach to MI that now make the skills more accessible and useful in your everyday clinical practice. Learn evidence-based skills to successfully adapt and integrate MI with other treatment modalities.
DAY TWO: Advancing Your MI Skills
- Elicit, Recognize & Respond to Change Talk
- Strengthening Commitment Language, Action Plans & Taking Steps
- Self-Assess Skills utilizing an MI Competency Tools
- Practicing the Tools of MI
You’ve got the core MI skills; now take them to the next level. Attend day two and you will walk away knowing how to utilize the strategies learned in day one to guide your clients toward positive change. Day two will allow you to become more cognizant and active in the process so you can be more client centered and directional in your efforts to promote change. This training is essential to be able to create an environment that actively moves an ambivalent client to change. In addition, you will learn how to self-assess your own competency so you can continue to grow your own proficiency long after the completion of this training. With a base of MI’s core strategies, you will increase your proficiency with a day of practice eliciting, recognizing and responding to change talk, the critical components in directing your clients toward change.
Come ready to engage in this highly interactive conference. Dr. Suarez will use demonstrations, case examples, role-plays, and real- plays and an up-beat high energy and down to earth style to teach you the MI skills that so many are now adopting to treat their clients.
- Develop a basic level of proficiency in using Motivational Interviewing techniques.
- Describe the spirit of Motivational Interviewing.
- Define Motivational Interviewing and recognize counseling traps to avoid.
- Practice basic strategies and core skills of the Motivational Interviewing approach.
- Apply skills when engaging clients and form a powerful and productive therapeutic alliance at the first session.
- Use client centered counseling skills to engage reluctant and coerced clients.
- Explain the directional component of MI.
- Practice eliciting, recognizing and responding to change talk.
- Demonstrate the efficacy of the MI approach with hands-on application.
- Utilize a MI competency tool.
- Assess your MI competencies.
- Enhance client’s intrinsic desire for change.
Create the Direction
- It’s all in the questions & reflections!
Elicit Change Talk—Why Change is Important
- What clients hear themselves say is more important than what you say
- Problem recognition
- Intentions to change
Recognize Change Talk
Respond to Change Talk—Use Your EARS
Strengthen Commitment Language
Assess Your MI Competency
- Instruments for coding and counting
- A snapshot of your MI proficiency
- Steps to increase on-going proficiency
This is an individual version for private use only. (What is it?)
By adding this individual version in your basket you are agreeing that this DVD and any other Individual Version DVD purchased at Psychotherapydvds.com will be used for personal viewing only, and not for teaching, training, group viewing or any institutional use.
To buy Organisational Version of this training pack licensed for use with groups or at training events go to: Organisational Version of this product page
Mariann Suarez, Ph.D., ABPP, is the Head of Child Psychology and Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Neurosciences at the University of South Florida College of Medicine. She is a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers, and a Diplomate in Cognitive and Behavioural Psychology of the American Board of Professional Psychology, and a Fellow of the American Academy of Cognitive and Behavioural Psychology. Dr. Suarez is the co-author ofMotivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults with Sylvia Naar-King, Ph.D.).
Dr. Suarez has taught Motivational Interviewing to students and practitioners in a variety of settings, and conducts seminars both nationally and internationally.
Dispatched from United Kingdom. International delivery available: Worldwide.
Individual Training Pack CPD 14 hours – £230.00