Now you can help your students walk into their first session with confidence! They’ll hear from new therapists what it’s like to begin clinical work, which will answer troublesome questions, ease anxieties and provide for fruitful group discussion.
Students training to be therapists often don’t know what to expect going into their first sessions with clients. This can ignite a quickly growing list of fears inside their heads: What if my client doesn’t like me? What if I come off as inexperienced? What if I don’t know what to say? Likewise, seasoned therapists all remember the first time they met with a client—the anxiety and self-doubt were palpable.
In this video, you’ll hear from several therapists that have just made it through their first internships. Specifically, you’ll learn about:
- How it felt to meet with a client for the first time: what they were worried about before the session, what it was like in the room, and how it felt afterwards
- What was particularly helpful during their first internship
- What challenges they faced and how they overcame them
- How they developed their clinical confidence
- What advice they received that was most helpful during this challenging year in their career
- And how it feels now to be a therapist compared to when they first began
Erik Sween is a psychologist, educator, and filmmaker. He has worked in a variety of settings including private practice, community mental health, college counselling, and family medicine over the past 20 years, and has trained interns and student therapists in over 10 different programs. His areas of interests include strength-based therapies, resilience, and insiders’ perspectives. He has worked for Outward Bound and presented workshops on narrative therapy. Currently, he maintains a private practice in Boulder, Colorado and teaches at the University of Denver.
This is an Instructor Version and can be used for groups and training purposes.
Dispatched from United Kingdom. International delivery available: Europe (excluding Poland).
Organisational Training Pack - £99.95