The history of mental health practice with gay, lesbian and bisexual people is both complex and constantly evolving. This introductory program to the series focuses on some of the most important historical developments from ancient times to the present, including:
- Early attempts topathologize and change homosexuality.
- The influences that led to the depathologizing of homosexuality.
- The contemporary bias in psychotherapy, illustrated by a poignant account of therapy abuse by Robert Gentry, the nation’s first openly gay mayor.
- “Conversion therapies” to repathologize homosexuality and modern attempts to change sexual orientation.
- Recent affirmative mental health approaches.
- The current APA guidelines for working with GLB clients.
- Real testimony of affirmative psychotherapy from a client after years of negative therapy experiences.
Archival film clips and interviews with the experts are used throughout to illustrate this history of treatment approaches and mental health attitudes towards the GLB community.
About Dr. Ron Scott
Dr. Ron Scottis Professor of Psychology at Chapman University, teaching courses in the areas of clinical, personality and multicultural psychology. He is a licensed clinical psychologist and maintains a small private practice in addition to his work at the university. Dr. Scott is an active teacher-scholar with approximately 20 journal articles and book chapters. He is an officer in the International Council of Psychologists and has been a visiting professor at several universities throughout Latin America.
Featured professionals in the series include Dr. Christine Padesky, Dr. Robert Jay Green, Dr. Isaiah Crawford, Dr. Eli Coleman, Dr. Sari Dworkin, Dr. Ritch Savin-Williams, Dr. Fritz Klein, Dr. Mary Bradford, Dr. Beverly Greene and others.
This is an individual version for private use only. (What is it?)
By adding this individual version in your basket you are agreeing that this DVD and any other Individual Version DVD purchased at Psychotherapydvds.com will be used for personal viewing only, and not for teaching, training, group viewing or any institutional use.
To buy Organisational Version of this training pack licensed for use with groups or at training events go to: Organisational Version of this product page
Dispatched from United Kingdom. International delivery available: Europe (excluding Poland).
Individual Training Pack CPD 1 hour – £36.23