The recent developments in neuroscience have given us new insights into how trauma impacts the development of the brain, and reorganized how the brain deals with input from its surroundings.
Join world trauma expert and leading authority Bessel A. van der Kolk, M.D. and hear how these findings support a range of new approaches to trauma treatment that until now have not been taught in graduate schools, such as:
- Affect regulation
- Memory processing
- Disturbances in sensori-motor integration
By understanding the impact of trauma on the brain it forces us to reconsider our therapeutic paradigms. Dr. van der Kolk will examine multiple areas in this high-impact 90-minute event.
- Summarize the recent developments in neuroscience as they relate to the treatment of trauma.
- Describe how children learn to regulate their arousal responses.
- List and describe techniques of physical mastery, affect regulation and memory processing.
Neuroscience & Brain Development
- Neuroscience research and the course of brain development
- How children learn to regulate their arousal systems
- How the brain has fundamental capacities to learn to regulate itself
- Trauma, abuse and neglect: The derailment of developmental processes and brain development
- Storing of traumatic imprints in the subcortical brain areas and how they are largely divorced from verbal recall
- The required central focus of somatic experiencing of trauma-related sensations and affects
- How deep imprints are the engines for continuing maladaptive behaviours
- Fixation on the trauma
- Why learned helplessness requires interventions aimed at restoring active mastery and the capacity to attend to the here-and-now
- The role of body-oriented and neurologically-based therapies to resolve the traumatic past
- Discussion of the integration of various approaches during different stages of treatment
This is an individual version for private use only. (What is it?)
By adding this individual version in your basket you are agreeing that this DVD and any other Individual Version DVD purchased at Psychotherapydvds.com will be used for personal viewing only, and not for teaching, training, group viewing or any institutional use.
To buy Organisational Version of this training pack licensed for use with groups or at training events go to: Organisational Version of this product page
Bessel A. van der Kolk, M.D., is a clinical psychiatrist who has studied the impact and resolution of trauma on human beings for the past 40 years. His research has ranged from developmental impact of trauma to neuroimaging and from memory processes to the use of EMDR and theatre groups in PTSD. He is professor of psychiatry at Boston University School of Medicine and medical director of the Trauma Centre in Boston, where he also serves as director of the National Centre for Child Traumatic Stress Complex Trauma Network. He is past president of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies. He has taught at universities and hospitals throughout the world. He is author of over a hundred scientific articles, author of Psychological Trauma and co-editor of Traumatic Stress.
Dispatched from United Kingdom. International delivery available: Europe.
Individual Training Pack 2 CPD Hours – £46.00